Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Well done Disney....well done.

So I had my first foray into the world of wedding dress shopping this past weekend.  It is a little early to be thinking about that all-important decision just yet, but my mother (who is MOB for the first and only time) was pretty excited for an appointment, so I decided to schedule one in.  I figured it was a practical decision - I have been looking at a lot of dresses online, but have been really confused about silhouettes and what might look good on me, so I would use this appointment to try on a bunch of different styles and at least figure out what direction I wanted to go in.

I was also interested in a certain collection of dresses by Alfred Angelo called the Disney Princess Collection.  Now, to the average joe, this may seem a tad over the top and ridiculous.  But, for someone who was a little girl growing up in the 80s that knew the words and music to all the Disney movies by heart, I was enthralled.  What girl did not grow up dreaming about being a Disney Princess?  Now Alfred Angelo has come out with a special collection of dresses for each individual Princess, so the girls that grew up pretending they were Belle (like me) that are now old enough to be getting married can really REALLY feel like a princess on their big day.  So I decided to book an appointment at a dress shop that carried this line of dresses.


Oh my GOD this picture made me laugh...
 
 
I was a tad nervous about dress shopping, because I have never been a fan of trying on regular clothes for any extended period of time at the stores - I am more of shoe shopper myself.  Turns out.....dress shopping is my new FAVORITE THING IN THE WORLD.  Putting on gorgeous gown after gorgeous gown, walking around seeing the way it swishes and sways, trying it on with shoes and a veil...it was pretty much the most fun thing ever.  I can totally see myself as one of those brats on Say Yes to the Dress that doesn't want to say yes to any one gown, simply because she doesn't want to stop shopping and trying on dresses. 
 
 

"Yes I do love this one...please bring me 50 more."
 
 
While I did have a great time fulfilling my childhood fantasy and pretending to be Belle...and Princess Jasmine...and Snow White...and Ariel...and best of all - Cinderella (featuring a spectacular line called the Cinderella Diamond Collection) at the end of it all I realized that these dresses were just that - childlike.  I felt like a girl playing wedding dressup rather than a woman who is actually getting married, and especially when she put a tiara on me, that was the end of my Disney dream.  It was still fun though!  :)
 

Leaving behind my glass slipper.
 
 

 
Me and my enchanted rose.
 
 

 
Fairest of them all!
 
 
So while that's the end of the Disney dress, the hunt for the perfect gown has just begun!  Toward the end of my appointment I did try on a dress that was sophisticated, elegant, glamorous and gorgeous, and it gave me a better idea of the kind of dress I'd like to wear on my wedding day...so stay tuned for updates!
 
 
Happy Wedding Wednesday!!!

~M 


0 comments:

Post a Comment