Pages

Wednesday 14 November 2012

They Said Yes!

If you were to ask the people closest to me what kind of bride they think I am, you would probably get similar responses across the board – Princess Bride, Glamorous Bride, Over The Top Bride, Bridezilla....kidding!  But “DIY Bride”?  Never.
 
So you may be surprised to learn that upon my betrothal, my DIY switch flipped and suddenly I am all crafty and hands-on.  So when it came to “proposing” to my first two bridesmaids, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  Bridesmaid boxes!
 
Tara and Melissa were basically shoo-in’s for the "lucky" (snort) job of bridesmaid as they are my closest girlfriends that I love to death!  We have a grand tradition called the “Margarita Sweatpants Party” in which we get together once a month or so, take off all our makeup, pile our hair in messy ponytails, put on our comfiest sweats, and drink copious amounts of margaritas (or other delicious cocktails) while eating really fattening food and listening to 90’s boy band music.  Our personal version of heaven.  So we had one scheduled for last Friday, and I knew it was the perfect time to lock down these two girls as my go-to peeps for the big day.
 
To start, I headed down to Dollarama (my love for that store could be its own blog post) and picked up a plain wooden photo box and a bunch of other supplies – stain, paintbrushes, ribbon, bling, etc. 
 
 
Easy enough.
 
 
Then I stained the boxes, added a little bling, and put my message in the top of the box in place of a regular photo.
 


It says: “I can’t say ‘I do’ without you...”
 
 
Next was the fun part.  I went through all my old photo albums in the back of my closet, and pulled out a bunch of pictures of me and Tara and me and Melissa from back in the day.  It was such a riot going through these pictures and even more fun laughing about them at the sweatpants party.  Two things we learned:  1) we went to the bar a LOT.  And 2) we thought we were pretty hot when really we actually looked ridiculous.
 

 
“Here’s us at the bar...here’s us at the bar again...”
 
 
I found some cute stickers about friendship so I stuck them all over the box, and added booze, which is one of the foundations of our friendship (ha!) and my ring pop to propose with.
 
 
 
Candy and booze - the perfect bridesmaid proposal.
 
 
Next step, the actual asking.  I decided to write each of the girls a card letting them know what their friendship means to me and officially asking them to stand up for me.  I am not normally the “mushy” type as everyone knows, but these girls mean the world to me so I wanted to make sure that I took the time to tell them that, and how important it was for me to have them standing beside me on my big day.  I also bought each of them a gift (Melissa a gift card to MAC and Tara a gift card to Studio Calico) as a small token of appreciation – come on, we all know it.  Being a bridesmaid isn’t a super fun job all the time.  So it was kind of my way of saying, “Sorry sucker!  But go buy yourself something nice!”  HAHAHA!
 

 
If you look really hard in the background, you'll also notice I have a huge glass of wine going.  A staple for any DIY project.
 
 
Then to finish it all off, I put everything into the box, added a bit more bling and tied it up with a shiny ribbon!
 

 
Ta-da!
 
 
I am very happy to report the girls loved the boxes and both happily agreed to be my bridesmaids.  Watch for future blog posts on my MOH Tara and Bridesmaid Melissa! 
 
 
They said yes!  (And let me break the cardinal rule of NO photography at the Margarita Sweatpants Party...)
 
 
As for my other two bridesmaids to round out my party of 4, I have something else special planned for those two, so stay tuned.  ;)
 
Happy Wedding Wednesday!!!
 
~M

 

 


1 comments:

Tara Elias said...

Best thing ever! So ecstatic to be your MOH :)

Post a Comment