Pages

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Theme Schmeme


I have to make this week’s blog post quick because I am drowning in a sea of T4s and T5s, but I just wanted to share a quick little topic that Eric and I have been discussing here and there since we started planning.  I also realize I've been pretty snarky the last couple posts, and while I am a sarcastic jerkface, I actually really do love wedding planning and blogging about decisions!


If you watch the show “Four Weddings” you’ll see that for every bride’s wedding, a two or three word theme is attached to her that best describes her wedding.  It usually has something to do with the decor, the personality of the bride, or some ridiculous thing she has planned that sets her apart.

 
 
From L to R:  Welsh Wizardry, Tears of Joy, Love Nest, Fiery and Fierce. 
I wish I was making this up.

 
So when we were watching an epi of Four Weddings once (I say we, but I really mean me, while Eric sits at the kitchen table doing something far less embarrassing and I make judgey comments out loud), I asked Eric what he thought the theme of our wedding should be.  He didn’t really know what I meant, so I broke it down for him.  “You know, like our theme.  Our THEME.  [large hand gestures] Our overall theme.”  Naturally, he was still a little puzzled, so I threw out a few examples. 


"Romantic simplicity"  A soft color palette of mostly pink, peach and purple pastels, roses, sweeping linens, casual and sweet:

 
 
 

"Dramatic elegance"  A dark, jewel toned palette with lots of sparkle, exotic flowers, lights and a black-tie feel.

 



"Rustic Luxe"  Mossy, old, and smelly, with a woodsy twist.  Must have lace, mismatched china, and hipster guests.

 

 

 

So after I’m done giving my ridiculous examples, Eric started laughing.  He was like, “Romantic simplicity?  That makes no sense.  That’s like saying our wedding theme is...FUN HAPPINESS!”  Which of course, made me LOL.  Eric is seriously hilarious, especially when it comes to making fun of me while I'm totally geeking out during wedding planning.


But after talking about colors and different things, we are leaning towards dramatic elegance, even if that’s not our official wedding theme.  We’re probably going with a dark royal purple as an accent color, which I think will look great in the Millennium Centre, along with high centerpieces (that’s right, you won’t be able to see the people across from you at the table, deal with it) uplighting, and naturally, a touch of bling.  ;)


Some inspiration pics...





 
 
Ah, the internet.  What did brides do before Pinterest?

So while our theme is far from nailed down and we have a long way to go before we start picking out linens, the vision is there!  Knowing me I will probably change my mind ten more times but still...progress!

 

Happy Wedding Wednesday!!!

 

~M

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment